Sandy Shores - Keeping the sand at bay!

Sandy Shores definitely lives up to its name! There's certainly no shortage of sand, and more is being added all the time. I've almost got full coverage on the layout now, with the exception of the dunes behind the platform. The reason for this is I realised that something was missing here.

As the only access to the platform is from the dunes, I figured the passengers would need a more substantial pathway to walk along than bare sand. And given the delicate nature of sand dunes, even irregular foot passage will cause damage. So I've started building a boardwalk from the backscene to the platform. All built using good old lollipop sticks.


Due to the difference in height, stairs were needed from the platform. I was going to add handrails to the path as well, but in the end I chose not to because:
1) The path is at ground level
2) The handrails would probably be damaged every time I took off the backscene board.

You'll also note I've continued to fabricate retaining walls from old railway sleepers. These will obviously need painting before being glued into place. Once these are in I can finish adding the sand to the dunes.

I've also cut the platform edge back because there wasn't enough clearance for stock to pass through.



I'm now much less concerned with the sand dunes - they are looking a lot better now that there are few gaps with which to see the plaster through.

Comments