Sandy Shores - Rock Armour & Landing Jetty

It seems the SSLR (Sandy Shores Light Railway) has been put to good use building up sea defences today, although some don't seem as keen to work!


In reality, this is just a test at the moment. Old DAS clay that had already semi-hardened was broken up into pieces. It's difficult trying to gauge how big the rocks need to be, but as it seems to vary a lot, I'm happy with what I have thus far. The scene above reminds me of the Holyhead Breakwater railway, with 2 huge slabs of limestone on a conflat wagon. I guess this is about as close as I can get with this being narrow gauge!

It also has reminded me that I am still yet to pluck up the courage to paint these flat wagons (designed for me by Mark Greenwood) and make up some Greenwich couplings. I found the couplings today and I think I'll put it off until just before I plan to exhibit the layout!


Anyway, the rock armour will definitely need small stones added underneath (I'll probably use ballast, but we'll see), as well as the fact that the boulders themselves will need burying slightly into the sand. And then of course, I will need to brave it and experiment with paint!


Another job has been carried out over the last couple days, and that is the landing jetty on the extreme right side of the scenic section. The eager-eyed amongst you may well have noticed the beginning of an outlet pipe taking shape under the landing jetty. You can't really see it from here, but I have scribed a semi-circle stone lintel above it too.

Meanwhile, Mr Remmington has leapt on the chance of the new fishing spot, with his tiny fishing rod...he really should get a new one!


And a final overall view of the current state of this end of the layout. You'll notice I've been playing around with trees again - I'm hoping a few trees will be all I need to hide the scenic exit. We'll see!


Comments

Post a Comment